October 30, 2010

new thematic context

the process of transitioning from masters to phd continues to play heavily on my mind, and its impact on my approach to my entire practice cannot be understated. the whole process takes about 2 months from start to final approval from the research centre at the university. i'm at the very last hurdle and there is, as i've noted in previous posts, a refining and reworking of my general premise.

fortunately, this juncture is the perfect opportunity for such a review of one's work. in the interest of laying out some thoughts to help in my grappling for a clearer thematic expression of my 'project' here's where i'm scrambling:

+ the title of my work, chaos calls, was meant as an evocation of 'nature calls' or 'the call of nature' and how it both calls for us (our attraction to it and our need for its resources) and to us (in the sense that we are the articulated expression of nature, it has 'talked' us into existence). chaos is simply a better description of nature and a way of extricating the true meaning of nature from the limited perceptions of it that are controlled by a historical interpretation of that word - 'nature' - and all the 'old' connotations of the wilderness, the other, and the objective. However, the title has not been well received by the professors at uni and at some level i can see their point. its implication is of something far wider in scope than the actual creative production i am undertaking. that is, the body of artwork that i have produced speaks to a far more refined aspect of nature, or chaos even. where chaos evokes the entirety of nature and, well, everything, my actual art evokes issues of a human interaction with nature. the nature i use in my work is almost always a 'culturalised' nature - nature controlled, manipulated or constructed by human engagement (pot plants, gardens, logs chopped from street trees etc). this is truly the essence of my work and while i may be dealing with a broader overall interpretation of nature, the actual physical manifestation of my ideas in these material creations is definitely dealing more specifically with the human use of 'nature'. 
and so, with a chance to renew my project, in light of the phd upgrade, it would actually serve me better to more clearly refine my thematic approach in that context and to rename my thesis. so far, the strongest thematic idea that comes to mind is something like 'second nature', 'new nature', or a similar expression of the idea that human interaction with nature, often facilitated/mediated through the use of technology, consequently produces a 'new' nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment